What is World Milk Day?
World Milk Day is a day established by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations to recognize the importance of milk as a global food. It has been observed on June 1 each year since 2001. The day is intended to provide an opportunity to bring attention to activities that are connected with the dairy sector. 2020 celebrated the 20th anniversary of World Milk Day!
Who can organize a World Milk Day campaign?
Anybody can host a World Milk Day event. The following are best placed to host events promoting the dairy industry and may have already been involved in a World Milk Day event:
- Community groups, sporting clubs etc.
- Dairy Producers/Farmers/Cooperatives
- Dairy Manufacturers
- Health/Nutrition Organizations
- Dairy Retailers
- Dairy Researchers
- Dairy Industry suppliers
- Agricultural Societies
- Schools & Universities
What is the impact of COVID-19 on World Milk Day?
In light of the global pandemic of COVID-19, we encourage organizers to host social media campaigns or online events to abide by the policies put in place by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and your local government. Our thoughts go to all the people who are affected by this virus.
What kind of social media campaigns can World Milk Day be?
- TikTok challenge
- Twitter chat about dairy
- Photo contest to select the most photogenic dairy cow
- Videos of dairy farmers and/or their dairy cows
- Recipe contest
- Boomerang videos
- Snapchat filters
- Facebook/Instagram live
- Influencer campaigns
- Song competitions
Will my campaign count if it doesn't fall exactly on the day?
Yes, your campaign will still be counted if it does not fall exactly on June 1. Registered campaigns held between May 1 and June 1 will be included!
What are the themes for World Milk Day?
We encourage you to talk about the important contributions of the dairy sector to:
- Good food, health and nutrition
- Farmers caring responsibly for their communities, the land and their animals
- Sustainability practices in the dairy sector
- How dairy contributes to economic development and livelihoods
What are the requirements to be part of World Milk Day?
World Milk Day can take the shape of any campaign organized by anyone in the world as long as it follows the following requirements:
- Feature the dairy sector or dairy products (on the menu, on the program)
- Dairy has to be on the menu or be featured in your campaign (any type of dairy product, any type of meal, any type of cuisine, any type of catering)
- Make references to World Milk Day using @WorldMilkDay and the hashtags #WorldMilkDay & #EnjoyDairy
- Share information about the campaign with the World Milk Day community: livestream video, recorded film, photos by using #WorldMilkDay in your posts or emailing us directly with the material.
How can I share my World Milk Day campaign with the rest of the world?
We want World Milk Day to be known around the world and for people to see the creativity of World Milk Day organizers by having access to live and recorded images of all the campaigns taking place around the world. World Milk Day will build in particular on social media to make sure that all campaigns are shared widely and sometimes live or with little delay.
When designing your campaign, you should consider the following options:
- Use the hashtag #WorldMilkDay & #EnjoyDairy on social media
- Capturing images of your campaign: any visual material that can be shared in social media will be of great use. Take pictures, post them on social media with #WorldMilkDay & #EnjoyDairy and email them to us
- Writing about your campaign: you can write a blog post before and after the campaign explaining why you are involved in celebrating World Milk Day.
- Recording parts of my campaign: any type of video content (edited and non-edited) showing what your campaign looks like can be sent to us to be uploaded on social media platforms to be shared with us (#WorldMilkDay & #EnjoyDairy on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter)
It is very important that you take into consideration any Intellectual Property Rights:
Do you have consent? Get consent from anyone being shown on a video before featuring them (including parental consent if showing children)
Have you considered copyrights? Streaming artwork, logos, songs in the background, could be an inadvertent infringement of someone else’s intellectual property rights so keep this in mind.
What are the guidelines for promoting my World Milk Day campaign on Social Media?
Official hashtags: #WorldMilkDay & #EnjoyDairy
Examples of tweets:
- Let’s make this year count – Drink Milk on June 1! #WorldMilkDay #EnjoyDairy worldmilkday.org
- I’m pledging to drink more milk this year and am hosting a #WorldMilkDay on June 1 worldmilkday.org #EnjoyDairy
- I’m pledging to love my dairy and am hosting a #WorldMilkDay on June 1 worldmilkday.org #EnjoyDairy
- I’m hosting a #WorldMilkDay celebration by eating dairy on June 1 worldmilkday.org #EnjoyDairy
How can I get help to organize and promote my World Milk Day campaign?
Coordinating with the Global Dairy Platform is essential to make sure that we can continue the momentum. Make sure you contact us throughout and don’t hesitate to ask for our guidance if you have any doubts.
- STEP 2: Include our websites and social media channels on your campaign website if you have one.
- STEP 4: Share your campaign material (video, photos, posts) using our hashtags #WorldMilkDay & #EnjoyDairy.
Happy World Milk Day!